Monday, August 12, 2024

How many languages are in this language?

August 5, 2024

 Bon Tardi! Buenas tardes! Good afternoon!

     So let me tell yall a little story about this here mission I've got. So, I learned Spanish in the MTC. Which means thay my spanish will be pretty mediocre for the next few months, no biggie we got this it'll be fine. However, I roll into Guyana, and my mission president says, "Oh yeah, by the way, you learn two languages."  Sick, let's go. I am actually so stoked. I love it! But let me tell you a little about Papiamento. Papiamento is a language only spoken by the people out in the ABC Islands. How many languages make up Papiamento? The correct answer is yes. Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, African indigenous languages, etc. It's one of the wildest looking languages I've seen. So I get to learn two languages and I couldn't be more excited!

     The last week or so has been somewhat of an adventure. I left the MTC Tuesday evening and arrived in Guyana Wednesday evening. Once In the mission home, the President told us to relax for about 15 minutes, and then we would go out and teach. So the APs came and took us to a few different places and taught the gospel a little bit. It wasn't what I expected at all, but it was a blast. The circumstances are not ideal, but the people are happy and love to talk to you. 

           Agriculla

     On Thursday, we had training and all that fun jazz until 1:30 ish. After that, the APs came with some other missionaries and divided up the 3 of us elders into trios. The APs wanted me, so I went with them. As we were driving, they told me that we were going to a town called Agriculla and it was the worst place in their area. They wanted the full baptism-by-fire Guyana experience. So we start talking to people, inviting them to church, setting up appointments, just crushing life. The sun is starting to set, so we are getting to the point where we need to go. I look over to my right and see a man getting out of a car with a balaclava, a machete, and a purpose. Let me tell you, we did not stick around to find that purpose, the APs and I left as quick as we could. 

          Curacao

     On Friday, I hopped on another plane and flew to Curacao to my first area. No more Guyana and no more machete moments. We are in an area called Buena Vista which sits in the middle of the island with no beach view. Bummer. But the people here are incredible. They have so much love and joy. Half the time I don't know what they're saying because it's either papiamento or thickly accented spanish. But you can just feel their love radiating. My trainer is a stud, and his name is Elder Seals. We get along super well, and he's super patient while I learn the languages. We've gotten to teach lessons in all 3 languages: one in English, a few in Spanish, and a few in Papiamento. 

          The man called Aldrich

     Since I got to Guyana, I heard stories about this man named Aldrich on Curacao. Well, I got to meet him on Sunday, and I understand why everyone was so excited for me to meet him. He laughed when he saw my name and then gave me the biggest hug any stranger had ever given me. He is one of like 3 people in our branch who know English, and the other two are his children. But he and I hit it off right away and the whole branch loves me simply because I share a name with this legend. He speaks 7 languages, has been to over 60 countries, and has the wildest stories. Curacao has 4 elders and 4 sisters on the island, and we all share the same branch. You can drive the whole island in 20 ish minutes, so the 8 of us spend the p-day mornings together. 

     The ABC Islands portion of the mission is really small—there are 18 missionaries total—so you get really close with everyone really quickly. So far, everyone I've met is the coolest person, and I'm stoked to fly to Aruba for the zone conference in 2 1/2 weeks! 

     So far, I have loved my mission experience. The people are incredible, and the opportunity to serve is an experience of a lifetime. I have only been in my area for a few days, but I have already seen the gospel change lives.

     Mi sa ku E Buki Di Mormon ta berdat. Jesucristo ta nos salbador. Mi sa ku esaki ta e Iglesia berdadero. Dios ta nos amoroso Tata celestial. Mi sa ku ora bo da lese E Buki Di Mormon, e lo trese bo paz. Mi ta bisa tur asaki den e nomber di Jesucristo, amen. 

     I know that the Book of Mormon is true. Jesus Christ is our savior. I know that this is the true church. God is our loving heavenly father. I know that when you read the Book of Mormon, you will feel peace. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

I love you all, I love the gospel, and I love being a missionary. 

Ayó!

Elder Aldrich









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

I live!

 September 8, 2025 Bon tardi atrobe! I am back from the dead! It's been a few weeks, so here's what I've got! Elder Winfield and...