Friday, July 26, 2024

Spiritual thoughts and Island talk

July 19, 2024

 Hello Everyone!

          Once again, this week has absolutely flown.  It feels like my P-Day was only two or three days ago, and it's even crazier to think that I am in my last week and a half of the MTC.  In about 10 days or so, I will be flying my little heart out.  After today, I have one more P-Day in the United States.  I don't even remember what happened this week, but I took notes day by day so that I would have things to say to you all.

     For starters, today they send out reassignments to the missionaries who would not receive their visas in time.  I was stressing hard because I am waiting on 3 visas, but not a single one of them is for the places I will actually be spending any time.  Regardless, I was worried that they would reassign me until I acquired the visas.  But, lucky for me, I did not receive a reassignment.  So, as far as I know, I will actually be going to my islands in 10 days' time.

     My companion is a hoot.  He knows how to make the district laugh and keep them laughing throughout the whole day.  One moment this week, in particular, is my favorite.  Sitting in class on Saturday afternoon, not a single person was completely focused on the class.  The district and the teacher were all joking and goofing around.  It was a good time.  Well, in walks some teacher who "needed a marker" and an excuse to talk to our teacher.  Elder Hathaway looks at this rando teacher and starts barking.  We all died laughing, except for the rando teacher, who I think felt more fear than anything else.

     Sunday is always a special day in the MTC.  The devotionals are something special, and the devotional review with my district is even more so.  It is so easy to feel the spirit because you are surrounded by the spiritual powerhouses of missionaries.  I just absolutely love it.  Something in particular that stood out to me was the story of the MTC president and his wife.  They were high school sweethearts, and she was religious but not necessarily studious in the gospel.  He, however, was not studious unless it was the gospel.  They were able to balance each other out and help each other in the aspects of their lives that were lacking.  When he proposed, he bought a ring with a diamond in the center and two rubies on the sides.  The rubies were meant to represent Christ, and they said that as long as they kept Christ at the center of their marriage, they would always be able to make things work.  It reminded me a lot of my own parents.  My parents have always been so good at keeping the gospel and Jesus Christ at the center, and it has strengthened their marriage.  They are quite dysfunctional without each other in the best way possible.  Together, they make one powerful machine.

     I don't think that it should be possible for humidity to go above 50%.  Ever.  In the islands, it has been consistently over 80% humidity for the past few weeks. I literally don't even know how that's possible.  Is there more water in the air than actual air?  I am moving to Atlantis, I guess.  I am stoked!

     I am learning Spanish slowly, and the longer I am here, the better I am getting at it. On Monday, we start "SYL," which stands for "Speak Your Language."  So, from Monday to the time I leave, I will not be able to speak English anywhere on campus.  We hope for the best.

     Honorable mention:  I have a ZL who has a slight obsession with bagels.  The other morning at breakfast I saw him walk to his table with 5 bagels for just him.  No cream cheese.  No nothing.  Just a man and his 5 bagels.

     I have one more thing to say, then I will leave you all alone, haha.  I had a thought the other day and was reminded of something my dad always told me.  "A mission is hard.  College is hard.  Life is hard.  Pick your hard and just go for it.  There is no sense in dipping your toes in; dive in head first.

I love you all!

-Elder Aldrich























No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

I live!

 September 8, 2025 Bon tardi atrobe! I am back from the dead! It's been a few weeks, so here's what I've got! Elder Winfield and...